Sunday, December 28, 2008

Geocaching

I was just introduced to this new hobby, adventure or whatever you want to call it a few months ago. Geo caching is a world wide scavenger hunt of hidden items. It's kind of like a techno treasure hunt. Go to the geocaching website and type in your zip code. This will show you where geocaches are hidden close to you. To go any further you have to make an account to get the GPS coordinates. After you are able to view the whole page type the coordinates into your GPS unit and go. Click on this to see geocaches in the SW Ohio area. www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=39.26149977123077 update- this takes you to Northern Cali- zoom out and you can see the caches there. They are everywhere.

The treasures or caches range from a small cylinder tube to a large ammo box or Rubber Maid container. They usually have a paper log or notebook inside to sign and some larger ones have small toys, nail polish, key chains, and other misc. objects. It's just fun to get out and run around a park and find these things that others have hidden. Some hidding places are really bizarre and take a little thinking. This last weekend I went with my parents and the clue was "Knot on the bridge".. it was in a knot hole of a tree in the middle of this park. It was a film container wrapped in camo duct tape with a paper clip around it to hold it from falling down in the tree. Very clever.

Check my list of labels for geocaching and look at some of the pictures that I took while out on my find. Try it for yourself and let me know if you have any questions. I just got started so I don't know if I will have the answer but I will try to figure it out. Happy Hunting

0 comments: